Tuesday, 18 April 2017

new contents page- ideas

My previous contents page I felt didn't represent jazz how I wanted. Although the picture I enjoyed, connoting the elegance of jazz through the flowers binded to the saxophone. However, as it is an image dominating photo, it made the flow of the text very difficult to position. Additionally, I felt the photo was too modern for what I aimed for, I wanted the image to bring more traditional elements, mainly relating to the time period. Therefore, I researched jazz clubs, such as the cotton club, smoke, five spot and blue note. These clubs were massively popular in the 20s all the way to 70s/80s even. Like these clubs do, I aimed to connect the past with the present. During research, I found a correlation. Smoking was huge in the 20s- over 50% of Americans alread smoked during this time, which increased rapidly. It relates strongly to the era where mass production occurred and changed modern society forever. Arguably, i feel jazz changed music forever. 
It brings a sense of history, context and nostalgia to the eye. This is mainly aimed at the long term readers of jazz magazines, but as smoking is still popular today its still relatable to new readers. As we know the risks now, it brings a sense of youthfulness, liveliness and reminiscence of how society has changed so much. 







No comments:

Post a Comment