
The image fills up an entire page. Which demonstrates the artists importance in the genre, due to the comparison of sizes of the image to the article. The image background is blurred out and the focus point of on Trane himself. This follows the standard code and convention of jazz magazines using methods such as editing and cropping to ensure the artist is the main focus. Here they have demonstrated the main focus literally.
For my magazine I want to follow this convention, as all my analysis's demonstrate this. Therefore I want to use this traditional element, to not lose the importance of the artist, and keep the history and what jazz stands for intact.
Also the image is in black and white, which is a traditional jazz convention, as the black and white highlights that the photo is keeping the history of jazz. This is because the images in old jazz magazines were all obviously in black and white, due to the lack of modern cameras.
I enjoy the idea of using an edited black and white photo. To restore the history and traditional elements in my magazine. However I will develop this by using my own editing skills to emphasise this furtheR. For example, Through research such as YouTube tutorials I will learn about how to manipulate the editing to be able to make my photos look more traditional, enphasising the traditional convention of jazz further.
For this image it doesn't fully include the instrument, although still visible it doesn't emphasise the equality of the instrument and artist, like I aim to do. Therefore I will, like this image, include the instrument however I want to follow the conventions of jazz more, so I will position the image to have the artist and instrument to be physically equal.
The positioning of the image and text means they share equal amounts of space. This enphasises the mass importance of the artist further.
Although I want to follow the convention of enphaising the artists importance, I will do this through other methods, such as editing or positioning the image to be dominating but not take up the full page. This is because I want my article to be longer than the one shown above. Due to wanting my article to include a lot of knowledge and detail into the artist and genre itself.
The text is positioned at Eye level to the image of the artist. Therefore his face and the text will attract the main attention, as they're the first items you see because they're at the very top of the article. I will use inspiration from this and aim to position the font in a visible and striking area, however challenge this by not positioning the text so it isn't at eye level to the image. This is because I aim to have the artist and instrument to be the very main focus, instead of it appearing the text is equal to the artist.
The fonts used are conventionally basic. This means the attention isn't taken away from the importance of the article and the artist itself. It also demonstrates the magazine is more focused on serving their target audience, with more focus on the content, rather than attempting to attract a larger audience with striking fonts.
I want to follow the concept of using basic fonts, and putting alot of effort into the content itself, as i feel this focus will suit the target audience more. Due to jazz magazine readers tending not to be attracted by usual marketing techniques, such as alot of images, and visual aspects. The content is a lot more important to them, therefore i will listen to this and use this convention in my magazine.
Although they are basic, the fonts, specifically the tallness and minimalist effect, convey sophistication. Which mirrors the connotations of jazz.
Instead of using a modern font, i want to stay towards the more traditional and minimalist fonts. Following this consistency throughout.
The colour of the page is also very basic, using only black, blue and white. This also draws attention to the image, as the elegant white background contrasts with the black and white photo, making it stand out more, and thus draw more focus. These colours, specifically the blue, are very conventional to jazz, as blue is traditionally associated with being related to jazz. This is due to its calmness and sophistication. I feel the colours represent what this article wants to present.
I will use colours to represent what messages i want to convey, such as a mix of traditional and modern colours, to stress my overall aim. However, the colours shown here are very traditional and offer no modern elements. Which i want to challenge and not solely use traditional colours in my double page spread.
I noticed the colour of the font 'Trane' is in a contrasting, striking, black font, compared to the calm blue above. This emphasises the artists importance again, as the eye is instantly attracted to the singled out word.
I want to draw attention to the artists importance, therefore i aim to just use the name of the artist, with inspiration of this. However, not including relating text like this magazine does, it will challenge this convention and ultimately bringing full attention to the main focus of the article, the artist. Which will follow specific aims of my magazine.
No comments:
Post a Comment