1) I questioned 16 people who both fit my target audience, e.g range of ages in order to achieve an insight on what teenagers feel about the genre jazz, regarding it's state as a genre and vice versa for the older marker. I asked 16 people ranging from 16-60. I specifically wanted to find what each target group wanted. Opinions such as ''no jazz found in popular music charts'' means I can apply these attitudes to my magazine, perhaps by swaying the colour or image to follow more modern trends- with the aim of attracting more people to read jazz magazines. Conclusively, the fact 14/16 of all ages and interests believe jazz could be revitalised, means that the reliance for the promotion into the ''mainstream'' media may be the only way to save it. As most jazz listeners are of an older generation and jazz hasn't been modernised fully yet, in order to reach and interest a wider audience. This is mainly due to stereotypes that youths believe jazz is outdated and monotonous- which I aim to change through fusing modern and traditional aspects, in order to satisfy both spectrum's of jazz listeners.
In these young and old target markets, through internet research and asking peers, I found there was no real 'social group' of people who enjoy jazz. It is an acquired taste, therefore I found it is usually the individuals within a group to enjoy the music. These people are generally very talented in instruments and are heavily involved in the music community. This is because to listen to jazz, you need to understand it, or be able to process the rhythm. Also, because it is such a dated genre, with it still carrying on today, the people who listen to jazz change throughout time. For instance, it was solely black people before the 1920s, who founded it. Then as they played to white people, it was passed on through them. This integration of culture carried on to this present day, where all races and backgrounds are equally interested. As for backgrounds, it used to be the much lower class in America to listen to jazz as a social escape, then it became a music for the white upper class, making it more sophisticated. The difference usually is, the jazz that was originally created had much more passion and liveliness to it. So there is no real example in the modern day of who listens to jazz, as its been around so long, there are so many different forms and subgenres, there are parts for everyone to enjoy. Arguably, the older generation who grew up with it are more avid listeners, however even in the older generation, I found the ones who like jazz are again, individuals within a group. It was just the way jazz was portrayed through media and history that it appeared everyone enjoyed jazz.




No comments:
Post a Comment