
This contents page features 4 images on the right hand side. They all feature popular jazz artists along with a few instruments , such as Sonny Fortune. By using artists and their instruments It tells the reader that this is what they will be reading about inside, making them more prone to read on. Additionally, the images are all equal sizes, most importantly that they overlap with each other, of different people. Physically demonstrating the equality of jazz artists (how they are making music for music and enjoyment rather than for the fame or money. Particularly, this is emphasised by the fact they aren't image dominating, they're side images. Which usually, would mean they aren't as important as some other feature on the page. The image colours have a filtered tint of blue on. So, in a way this makes them stand out on the page as its contrasting with the white, more so if they were black and white. Which reinforces their importance in the genre itself. For my magazine I want to stress the importance of the artist and their instruments, so will opt for an image dominated photo. However, the filters intrigue me as they bring a splash of uniqueness, and aren't seen in many jazz magazines. Therefore, I may add them to my double page spread to add a flare.
The colour scheme is very sophisticated, as specifically the editing of photos as its done in a cool blue tone. This blue tones connote jazz, as blue is known widely as an associated colour to traditional jazz. The colour of the black and blue follows through to the font colour, this keeps a sense of consistency through the page. The background is a classic white, which follows the conventions of jazz being a minimalist genre. White also connotes elegancy, which is a great example to describe the traditional jazz's rhythm. Overall, the page has only 3 consistent colours, black, blue and white. Which are all associated, stereotypically as ''jazz colours''.
Although this would follow the codes and conventions of a jazz magazine, I don't want to restrict my magazines potential by having just a traditional colour scheme. As I feel It may make my magazine look outdated.
However, I would use inspiration from this and use a colour scheme through my contents page, with just more modern colours.
Contrastingly to the other magazines analysed this one uses several images, instead of a dominating one. This demonstrates the variation of artists, and overall the diversity of jazz, like subgenres, cultures etc.
Although this can be justified to follow the codes and conventions of a jazz magazine, I want to follow the majority of using an image dominated photo, in order to emphasise the conventions of jazz further.
Because I'm using a focus of one artist, I don't want to direct attention away from it. However, the photos do demonstrate the diversity in jazz by the use of females and males, different artists and a jazz instrument. I will use inspiration from this, and take photos of a traditional jazz instrument to use on my contents page, rough cut. However, because this is very traditionally conventional I aim to add a modern twist, such as through editing and props.
No comments:
Post a Comment