The colours of this double page spread are all of neighbouring colours, with varying shades - brown, black, gold . The only exception being the white text. The gradient of black to lighter brown forces the focus on the artist, as hes the lightest and only object on the page. This demonstrates his importance, as well as keeping the tradition of the artist / instrument being the main focus ( as they are the only two images shown ). Moreover it reinforces that the articles focal point is him. Particularly, the mouth lies horizontally on the of third grid. This draws attention to the instrument itself, showing how the instrument and artist work equally in order to produce music. Overall, it is focused on in order to stress the value and significance of the instrument in proportion to the artist. By reoccurring the very common jazz theme iv'e found through my analysis's, its able to keep the traditional nature. For my magazine i'm very fond of having a continuous theme of colours throughout, to maintain consistency of brand. For instance yellow and black.
The image itself is a dominating image, which takes up just over an entire page. This demonstrates that Frank Forster is the main feature, it also follows the conventions of a typical jazz magazine, as the other double page spreads feature this. Through this, it stresses the importance of the artist and instrument in the genre, and how respected they are by jazz listeners.
The image demonstrates a closeup of Frank Foster. The closeup means the reader will focus on the image further, the inference of this is that the artist and instrument are very important in the genre. It also demonstrates that Foster is the main Focus of the article. This follows the codes and conventions that the other analysed double page spreads demonstrate.
Therefore, I will use this code and convention in my own double page spread. However instead of using a closeup, I will want to challenge this convention by using a wide shot, to include the whole body but still using a conventional jazz instrument. I will edit the photo to still covey the message of importance of the artist.
The facial expression of Fosters face highlights the passion in the music he is playing. Also the fact his eyes aren't directing the camera shows how dedicated he is to the jazz music he is playing.
In my magazine I want to follow this convention, to emphasises the dedication and passion in jazz. It shows how the artist is more involved in the music rather than attracting an audience. However, I want to have a full body or wide shot, to include the full instrument, to highlight the importance of the instrument to the artist.
The image also uses editing to achieve a halo look around the artist himself. This reinforces that the artist is the main focus on this page, and in the article itself. It also means the image wont blend too far into the background, making the photo more striking.
I enjoy the idea of using effects to demonstrate the artists importance, such as using highlighting and shadow tools so the instrument and artist are presented in a more equal light.
The main headline font portray a more modern look, due to it unconventionally having additional lines attached, therefore not being minimalist, like my other DPS show. However, the bold and significantly large title do enforce the importance of the artist, which does follow the conventions of a jazz magazine. This may have more of a modern element because the other fonts featured are fairly basic and more conventional. This shows they could be adding a sense of modernness to balance out the traditional and modern elements, especially as they may want to attract both audiences. Taking inspiration from this, I want to explore both modern and traditional fonts, in order to create more of a balance like this page demonstrates. However, I may use more modern as I plan on using very traditional photos and layouts, which may make the balance too bias. Also because fonts attract alot of attention, I am able to convey my aims alot easier, if I choose to use a balance, as it will be physically distinguishable.

No comments:
Post a Comment