
Here, I used an image dominating image. Which demonstrates to the reader that this is my main message. By having a main focus it demonstrates that the instrument Is one of the most fundamental parts of jazz. The instrument is rooted in jazz. This brings a distinguished sense to it, as jazz is one of the few genres that you have to be incredibly skilled at to make the music. It also emphasised how passionate the artists are about their instruments, and how much devotion and time it takes to become as talented as they are. Additionally, it shows that the instrument is as equal in jazz as the artist- this maintains the traditional nature of jazz and follows my codes and conventions. By using a modern photo and a rooted ideology it fuses both modern and traditional elements, my main objective.
The text used on the headings is called 'jazz'. As the image may be unclear for a direct genre, I felt the text could be entirely direct. It really screams particularly the 1920s era of jazz, where this text featured on jazz clubs, records, books etc. Therefore, the text demonstrates the traditional element of jazz, to contrast with the modern looking image.
The curved text 'groove', used really highlights the energetic and free willed edge jazz brings. It's vibrant, fun and full of passion whilst not pushing any boundaries of becoming too comic. Exactly how I want to present my magazine.
The positioning and size of the text is symbolic of the importance. The main story ( artist Emilay Badu ) is featured In a fairly large font, to direct the reader instantly. This is mainly due to jazz magazine buyers, usually buying a magazine to read weekly about a very focused and detailed article on an artist. Amongst the other articles, which are naturally expected to be knowledgable and fascinating. Additionally, It was a very close comparison to the famous 'downbeat' magazine, of their very old issues- bringing traditions back.
I used the colour yellow for the lines, in order to maintain brand consistency. As I used a striking yellow for my front cover, I wanted to keep a sense of proudness and familiarity throughout. Im unsure on the coloured background photo, as I feel it doesn't particularly contrast well with the text/colour.

No comments:
Post a Comment