
I took photos of various textures around the classroom, to create a background with shadows, bumps etc. As I learnt from my rough cut, the background was described as 'poster like'. I based it largely upon the yellow Ella Fitzgerald magazine, and the others displayed in that collection. However, I failed to notice, at the time, that the magazine wasn't just a blocked colour as I assumed. It was worn and the colouring at that time was no where near as advanced as colouring today. Particularly digital colouring means the image will be extremely clear and bold. This made it look too modern for my aims, and clashed too much as it was so vivid. This also meant it took a lot of the focus away from the content itself, and almost made the magazine look comic and unsophisticated. I then used indesign to add a layer over the image, I then made it the shade of orange I wanted and turned the opacity to very low. This meant it created the effect as if the ground would be a textured orange. The overall textured look meant my magazine looked matured/traditional, or even physically worked on, not digitally. Which reinforces the principles of jazz, a lot of dedication and practical working.

No comments:
Post a Comment